info-performer-dev

[Linux] joystick support

To: Performer Dev <info-performer-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Linux] joystick support
From: Philip Nemec <nemec@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:31:58 -0800
Sender: owner-performer@xxxxxxxxxxx
So I haven't seen any traffic on this list yet, so here's my first 2
cent contribution...

There's fairly good joystick support in Linux [including serial
joysticks] with a uniform interface (variable number of axes and buttons
- all scaled/calibrated to give consistency).

I'd say that the pfuXformer model is a bit broken and an alternative
that includes support for joysticks would be worthwhile...  It seems to
be that a matrix mapping axes (including from a mouse) and buttons to
XYZ should be general enough to support different motion models as well
as different input devices.

Comments?

I think it would probably be worth porting the Linux serial joystick
support to Irix (should be pretty easy without the analog joystick
mess).  I won't volunteer for this though - I'm content to contribute on
the more general motion model stuff...