kdb

Great! Worked! [Was Re: kdb from COM1: doesn't work with ctrl-A]

To: kaos@xxxxxxx
Subject: Great! Worked! [Was Re: kdb from COM1: doesn't work with ctrl-A]
From: "Chess ForFun" <chessforfun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:50:51 -0800
Cc: kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: kdb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Keith,

Thaaaaaaaaaanks a ton!
Your  following suggestions made it work.
[I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y].

I can get to kdb from minicom and kermit both, also throug a telnet session-via serial console.

Just a small suggestion: I haven't found the above in any documentation or in "make menuconfig" screens or elsewhere. It would have been very easy if this option was under "Kernel Hacking" of "make menuconfig"...or at least in HELP screen where I enabled kdb.

cheers, chessforfun :-)

minicom uses ctrl-A as its own control character so you have to hit it
twice to get to kdb.  You also need to build the kernel with
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y before you can see any kdb output on the serial
console.  Make sure that linux is reading from the serial console
correctly, can you login via the serial console?

yes, I always logged in using serial console.