Re: IPv6 over slip

To: Patel Hemang-QA4383 <Hemang.Patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'linux-ipv6@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-ipv6@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPv6 over slip
From: Peter Bieringer <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:14:33 +0100
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
--On Monday, December 10, 2001 07:55:35 PM -0600 Patel Hemang-QA4383
<Hemang.Patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       We are trying to run the MIPL and IPv6 stack with the SLIP
> interface(sl0) in LINUX.
Are you sure that SLIP is able to transport IPv6 packets over the
link?

Is there any "layer2 transport protocol field" in SLIP in use?

Perhaps not, and then SLIP has the same "never be IPv6 capable"
feature like encapsulation "rawip" on ISDN links.

At "rawip", no "layer 2 transport protocol field" is used, and both
endpoints assume that all transported data is IPv4.

If this is the case in SLIP, too, we should rename it to SLIPv4 ;-)

        Peter