Re: network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

To: Hein Roehrig <hein@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces
From: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:01:28 +1100
Cc: Neale Banks <neale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
In message <E16FIK5-0000zS-00@qaip3> you write:
> in Linux 2.2.20 I have a problem renaming the network interface dummy0
> to eth0 and then starting a regular ethernet driver --- I would like
> it to come up as eth1 but it comes up as eth0, messing up the dummy0
> interface.

What an interesting corner case.  I assume that there's a good
(speed?) reason why init_etherdev doesn't use dev_alloc_name() or
equiv.

Of course, I never thought anyone would rename interfaces to the names
of other interfaces, so I never honestly considered it.  It was more
for large ISPs to name interfaces after their clients (I had a pppd
hack that did this), for filtering and easy identification purposes.

Rusty.