Re: fib/netdev cleanup

To: <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fib/netdev cleanup
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:10:46 +0200 (EET)
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        Hello,

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > ops, the last command deleted the route to 192.168.0.2
>
> And this is the only official way to destroy an IP interface.

        This is very unofficial way to stop IP on interface :)
May be official for non-Linux :)

> >     The question is whether we should disable IP when the
> > last address is deleted.
>
> MUST.
>

> >                             Under "disable IP" you mean
>
> Under disable I means disable. No IP on this interface. No input, no output,
> no references, full shutdown.

        Hm, it does not sound good to me. May be because I can't
imagine where it is used. IMO, the user should take care what he adds
and then to delete it. Why to disable valid usage of routes for
independent subnets. I'm not happy but anyway :)

> Alexey

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>