Re: SIOCETHTOOL history ?

To: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SIOCETHTOOL history ?
From: "arun" <akumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:54:43 +0530
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message -----
From: "arun" <akumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 6:53 PM

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <akumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 5:19 PM
> Subject: Re: SIOCETHTOOL history ?
>
 > Yes it does:

 Iam really stumped in that case since, mii-diag tool based
 on Donald Beckers code, ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/mii-diag.c
 seems to work ok without CAP_NET_ADMIN on RH 7.1
 and RH8.0 distros.

 (I dont set any capabilities just tried to read speed / card id
 and it never returned EPERM for me)

 I chanced on the ethtool since mii failed to report anything on
 newer Gigabit cards (specifically a Broadcom Corporation
 NetXtreme BCM5701 card)

 However ethtool required running with su root even for reading
 the capabilities (I recompiled ethtool code with only a GSET
 command to confirm this) and that is why i have this doubt on the
 reason of the behavioural differnces between the 2 ioctl's

 arun