Ick, I get to be the bearer of my own bad news. I seem to mostly have a
client misconfiguration problem.
David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:56:50 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
> > What did i miss?
> Thanks for all of the data Jesse. I'll try to sift through it this
Well, as it turns out I was sort of right all along, when i was thinking
that the client's tcp windows were not being serviced quickly enough.
First, I figured out that the windows client machines have a good "out
of the box" behavior when receiving tcp data from linux.
Second, the clients sending data to the server were maxing out their tcp
window at 64k and did *not* have rfc1323 enabled. After enabling
rfc1323 and upping the max window size to 128k, each client's throughput
went up quite a bit (there may be more headroom i didn't test yet).
Total throughput for us in this case is around 1560Mb/s now. I'd like
to see it at 1700-1800 but I don't think it will do it. We're still
running almost entirely in interrupt mode (with NAPI enabled) at about
Now I will go back and run with the netfilter enabled kernel and take a
look again at the faster replenish/fairness patches I've been working on.
Thanks for your attention,