ogl-sample

[ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: Thanxs for SGI's GLU 1.3 libs !

To: Olivier Michel <Olivier.Michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: Thanxs for SGI's GLU 1.3 libs !
From: Brian Paul <brianp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:44:10 -0700
Cc: Sven Goethel <sgoethel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, mesa-dev <mesa3d-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Olivier Michel wrote:

> Sven Goethel wrote:
>
> > Thanxs a lot !
> >
> > How about integrating the SGI GLU Sources to the Mesa distribution ?
> > Did you asked Brian ?
>
> Yes. Brian told me that he would like to see this SGI GLU integrated
> into Mesa in a forthcoming version of Mesa, but I cannot tell you when.

I haven't started that work either, yet.

> There may be problems with mixing different licenses into a single
> package... (SGI OSS license is different from Mesa LGPL, don't ask me
> where!).

The main Mesa library is not LGPL, it's copyrighted XFree86-style.
There are some other components in the Mesa distro such as GLUT, GLU
and some drivers which have other copyrights.  It's explained in
the docs.

The SI GLU copyright is compatible with XFree86 so there should be
no problem including the sources with Mesa.  The concern I have is
what to do for people who do not have a C++ compiler.  If they
can't compile the SI GLU they'll either need to use the old Mesa
GLU or find a precompiled library for their system.  And until
they solve that, they can't run many of the Mesa demos, etc.

-Brian