pcp

Re: Copyright and licensing questions

To: Mike Mason <mmlnx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Copyright and licensing questions
From: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:33:34 +1000 (EST)
Cc: <pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 7 May 2002, Mike Mason wrote:

> I'm almost done with a patch to the Linux PMDA that includes the following:
>
> 1) Changes to existing files.
> 2) New files.
> 3) A slightly modified file (ksym.c) from procps that was released under
> the LGPL.  I'm using functions in this file to get the wchan symbol name
> from System.map.
>
> A couple questions...  Does the copyright on the new files get assigned
> to SGI upon submission?  I assume the answer is yes.

with your (or IBM's) permission, yes.  I can email you some standard
legal stuff for this. Without your permission I think you (IBM) retain
copyright for new files. For changes to existing files, we have been
generally adding extra "Copyright 2002 user@xxxxxxxx" comments in-line
to acknowledge the contribution. For example, in src/pmdas/linux/pmda.c :

            /*
             * kernel.all.uptime in hours
             * contributed by "gilly" <gilly@xxxxxxxxxx>
             */
            atom->ul = (u_long)(times(NULL)) / (proc_stat.hz * 60 * 60);

> Can we legally use
> a file released under LGPL in a GPL project?  If not, I need to write my
> own System.map search routines.

for one thing, the open source PCP libraries are LGPL. Non-library code
is GPL. In the past we have obtained permission from the original
copyright holder to use their code, e.g. see the comments at the
head of src/libpcp_http/src/http_lib.h for an example.

thanks
-- Mark