state-threads

a plea to have some "helper" application sample along with the ST distr

To: state-threads@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: a plea to have some "helper" application sample along with the ST distribution.
From: "g.p.ciceri" <gp.ciceri@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:53:09 +0200
Sender: owner-state-threads@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,
following the mailing list discussions, it seems to me the
major issue in building ST-enabled applications
is still the handling of non ST-controlled operations,
like performing disk I/O, query LDAP servers and/or DBMS,
legacy network libraries, questions like these.

The standard way to handle this issues is to build
some "helper" application, connected to the ST-enabled one
via some IPC mechanism like pipe(2) or socketpair(2), but
unfortunately the suggested sample (quoting from a past discussion):

>The Flash web server used disk I/O helpers for disk-bound workloads
><http://www.cs.rice.edu/~vivek/flash99/>.  I think the source code is
>available free of charge for non-commerial use.

Is no longer available (at least, the author neither answers
emails, nor releases the code).

May I ask someone to provide a working sample of such a technique ???
For example, in the ST distribution there is the "server" sample:
it should be nice to extend this sample with an "helper" app, given
as reference.

Any help/remark will be highly appreciated.
Thanks for your patience, and best regards.
/gp

--
Discussion: How do you feel about Open Source firms making
millions through public offerings?

"I wish these companies were making the same millions without
distributing any non-free, user-subjugating software." --
                                             Richard Stallman

"We're so forward that sometimes we reach ourself." --
                                             g.p.

"It is amazing how much you can achieve when you don't have
to do the real work yourself." --
                                             Joe Celko

  Gian Paolo Ciceri        Via B.Diotti 45 - 20153 Milano MI ITALY
      CTO @ Louise         mobile :   ++39 347 4106213
                                  :   ++39 348 3658272
                           eMail  :   gp.ciceri@xxxxxxx
                                  :   gp.ciceri@xxxxxxxxx