Re: RedHat 7.0

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:03:10 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> At 09:02 AM 9/28/2000 -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> > is a
> > >
> > > gcc 2.95 onwards rewrote the ix86 code for function prologues.  kdb
> > > backtrace cannot handle the newer prologue code, gdb has problems with
> > > it as well.  gcc 2.7.2.3 and gcc 2.91 (egcs-1.1.2) are OK.
> >
> >I have not checked, but I think redhat ships two compilers, there is a
> >kgcc package in the 7.0 release for kernel compilation, not sure of the
> >version in it.
>
> I would have to check if it's available. Workstation is upgraded by now and
> running in it's previous state. (always tricky upgrading machines -
> breaking stuff) The standard apache seems broken with some rsa crypto clash
> (php-4.02)
>
> Is the compiler hardcoded in the xfs source? (just checked out cvs tree)
> I got the error that gcc-2.91-6 was not available ?!
>
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
> scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
> scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
> gcc -V egcs-2.91.66 -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
> -fno-strength-reduce      -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
> gcc: file path prefix `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/'
> never used
> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
>
> ??
>
> That should definitely not happen. I did make mrproper before compiling.
> make mrproper && make menuconfig && make dep && make bzImage etc..

The compiler did get hardcoded into the top level makefile of the
kernel, there is one line right at the top you need to edit:

CC              = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -V egcs-2.91.66

I suspect 7.0 does something similar, check out what they define CC
as in there kernel source and try using the same thing.

Steve