RE: ADD 804570 - The elevator bug

To: "Lord, Steve" <SLord@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ADD 804570 - The elevator bug
From: Tony Gale <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:28:13 -0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 05-Dec-2000 Lord, Steve wrote:

> Fixing the elevator should be as simple as either getting hold of
> elvtune which can tweak these parameters or changing them in the
> code (probably elevator.c) I am in a hotel room in Denver and I
> don't have direct access to source at the moment, or I would point
> you at the right places.

Ok, will back it out for now.

> [ Side note on repair and the lost+found directory - the first
> thing
> repair does is remove this directory without removing its contents,
> which means that if you run repair with a lost+found with contents
> you will always get unlinked files. If you want to keep the files
> then move them somewhere else (renaming lost+found would work) or
> just delete them between repair runs. I do not know the reasoning
> behind this logic, the authors or repair left SGI a long time
> ago.

Yes, it's just slightly annoying, and I can't see a reason for it
either.

> You state that your news server hangs after about a week - this is
> the thing which needs digging into I think. Have you tried dropping
> into kdb when this happens - a dump of all stack traces might be a
> good starting point.

I'll put my hands up and admit to being less than proactive on
tracking down the actual problem than I should have been. Was more
concerned with not being able to get innd to work after resetting.
Will do a more thorough job next time (hoping there won't be a next
time :-) )

Thanks

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The cost of feathers has risen, even down is up!

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.