Prerelease-test1-rc1 XFS install CD

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Prerelease-test1-rc1 XFS install CD
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:18:51 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ok I've  been promising something for a few days now.
And the verdict! We'll it still isn't quite ready.

The latest 2.4.0 version of the kernel has problems with python
but then doesn't everybody :-) :-).

For anybody who is just dying to get their system up and running
XFS only, have put the a version of the iso image on oss.

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/RH7.0-XFS-test.iso

Note the kernels installed will be based on 2.4.0-test11, which was
not a very stable release, I recommend updating to a newer kernel.
I will put our latest rpm out on oss also.

Note this has not been tested on  many machines... ok two and
it fails on one. :-(  The initrd fails to build at install time, this
seem
to be a problem with the loop device code in the install kernel.
I am hoping the 2.4.0 kernel fixes the problem, soon as I get past the
installer problems.

This images is a good candidate for your CD-RW or the 50 for a $1 type
CD's

The good news: if the install works it is fairly trivial to upgrade to
the latest kernel.

Ohh  Ya this CD only contains updated rpm images, you will need
a copy of the RedHat 7.0 disk 1 and 2 to actually do the install.

Please forward and success our way.

I'm sure there will be failures minds as well send them also.

Also note the images for floppy installs are on the CD, but don't bother

trying them... they don't work.

--
Russell Cattelan