Re: Prerelease-test1-rc1 XFS install CD

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Prerelease-test1-rc1 XFS install CD
From: Matthew Geier <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:06:59 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Russell Cattelan wrote:

> Ok I've  been promising something for a few days now.
> And the verdict! We'll it still isn't quite ready.
>
> The latest 2.4.0 version of the kernel has problems with python
> but then doesn't everybody :-) :-).
>
> For anybody who is just dying to get their system up and running
> XFS only, have put the a version of the iso image on oss.
>
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/RH7.0-XFS-test.iso
>
> Note the kernels installed will be based on 2.4.0-test11, which was
> not a very stable release, I recommend updating to a newer kernel.
> I will put our latest rpm out on oss also.
>
> Note this has not been tested on  many machines... ok two and
> it fails on one. :-(  The initrd fails to build at install time, this
> seem
> to be a problem with the loop device code in the install kernel.
> I am hoping the 2.4.0 kernel fixes the problem, soon as I get past the
> installer problems.

 Ok, it died on my Dell :-(

 Ive got an Anaconda backtrace -
KeyError hda3
fstab.py line 729 in mountFilesystems fstype=self.formatType[device[)

> This images is a good candidate for your CD-RW or the 50 for a $1 type
> CD's

 Mine cost $2AUS. :-)

> Ohh  Ya this CD only contains updated rpm images, you will need
> a copy of the RedHat 7.0 disk 1 and 2 to actually do the install.

 At which point do you change in the disks ?

> I'm sure there will be failures minds as well send them also.
>
> Also note the images for floppy installs are on the CD, but don't bother
>
> trying them... they don't work.

 I had a stab at modifing the bootnet.img but all I got was kernel
panics. I was bumbing about in the dark trying to modify the boot
floppy.

--
Matthew Geier                   matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Arts IT Unit                    +61 2 9351 4713