Re: xfs and reiserfs

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs and reiserfs
From: Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:08:58 -0500
Cc: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:38:43PM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> It's really offtopic, but I have to correct obviously wrong statements.
>
> >   While I'm here does anyone know anything about the 2 problems I
> > descibed above.
> >
> > 1. No LFS support in reiser  ( I know this ain't a reiser list. Sorry)
>
> The reiserfs 3.6 that got merged into 2.4 supports files >2GB when you
> let it convert the disk to a new disk format (this implies that 2.2
> reiserfs cannot read it anymore)

I realize reiser 3.(something) will be in 2.4.1 kernel. It's not in the
2.4.0 that I just got. The reiser patch I used was 3.6.25. It
was the latest they had on thier site. What do you mean "convert the
disk
to a new format" I have been reading (reiser list archives) and my
problem
with reiser almost seems to be a gcc revision problem. The Doc/Changes
in
the src tree implies not to use 2.95.2 but to use 2.91.rr so I went back
to that revision for kernel compile. My dist is SuSE 6.4 + updates.
Maybe
I should go back to 2.95.2 from SuSE? I've also read the XFS doesn't
like
2.95.2 so maybe the answer to the original posters question, is that the
two filesystems cannot coexsist at this time and function properly. I'll
have to try 2.95.2 gcc when I get home and see if it matters. Back to
"convert the disk to a new format", what do you mean. Maybe I just left
out a step???

> > 2. On an XFS fs, doing an ls in a directory that has a file larger then
> >    2+gb gives a message about to large to stat.
>
> You need to recompile your ls with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 so that it uses
> stat64(). AFAIK recent gnu fileutils will do that automagically when you
> configure/compile them with LFS aware glibc headers.
> Generally programs cannot access files >2GB unless they were recompiled
> for LFS.

I comliled/installed the latest fileutils but I may have neglected to
insure the correct glibc was installed first. I'll double check that
one when I get home. It would appear from the rest of the posts on the
subject most agree glibc is probably my problem here.

--
Mark Hounschell
markh@xxxxxxxxxx