Mounting real-time device - can it be done?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Mounting real-time device - can it be done?
From: Annius Groenink <avg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:36:47 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Joost Remijn <remijnj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Annius Groenink <avg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I am new to XFS and this list.  Great initiative.

I tried the following:

mkfs.xfs /dev/hdb4 -r size=1g,extsize=65536,rtdev=/dev/hdb3 -f

i.e. setting up an XFS filesystem on /dev/hdb4 with a real-time section on
/dev/hdb3.  Mkfs says it's happy about it.

But when I try to mount, I get the following response (whereas mounting an
XFS without a real-time section will go just fine):

iep:/usr/include/linux# mount /dev/hdb4
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb4,
       or too many mounted file systems

Isn't that a pity!  Is this an unsupported feature?  The header
files seem to do all the necessary ioctl() calls to open a file
as part of the real-time section...

How much work would it be to implement the feature, if it is
indeed missing?  We'd be prepared to put some effort into this.

--

dr Annius V. Groenink
groenink@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kruislaan 400                 Eidetica, Amsterdam
NL 1098 SM Amsterdam
http://www.eidetica.com/      Knowledge services - Internet intelligence