Re: xfs causes machine to freeze

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs causes machine to freeze
From: Sean Dougherty <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:15:26 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Steve Lord wrote:

> There are changes in the current development cvs tree which may fix this,
> we know that it is not bug free right now, and are working on it. In the
> meantime, could you possibly try a kernel built from the development tree
> and let us know if you can hang it in the same way.
>
> Steve

I have just downloaded this new cvs tree, and it is running now on a
pentium II/128M/PIIX and PDC2xxx both drives are maxtor.  I will let you
know, if it does hang, I plan to try the 2.4.pre-3 patch which was
suggested by both Scott Hoffman and Krzysztof.

The strange thing is, the brand new test machine I built on thursday,
(athalon 1000,512M,20G and 80G maxtor drives, via and promise
controllers) using the install RPM from the iso distribution...is running
like a champ.  I just checked and it has not crashed since late
thursday.  Would it be possible for you to email me the .config for your
default install (or tell me how to generate it from the iso image), then
I can compare what I have turned on that the install does not.

I am tending to think this is more a 2.4X problem than an xfs problem.
All my machines running 2.2.16-3 (with the appropriate ide patches from
hendrick so I can have multicount and dma on the ide drives) run my
little stress test fine (by fine I mean if my stress test runs from Friday
night when I go home till Monday morning when I get back).

Thanks

Sean Dougherty
Manager of way too much
TTUHSC At Amarillo

ps..for the group:  With reguards to Seth Moss comment about the speed of
NT...my experience has shown that pretty much a trained monkey with an
etch-a-sketch is faster than an NT box :-)