Re: xfs causes machine to freeze

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs causes machine to freeze
From: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:54:56 +0100
Cc: Sean Dougherty <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 12 2001, Steve Lord wrote:
> I am attempting to merge 2.4.2-pre3 at the moment, and am running into
> difficulties with the ide code - the changes in our tree and the changes
> in Linus's tree do not like each other at the moment. I would hold off
> on attempting to use this right now - unless you understand the ide code
> very well ;-)

The IDE changes to multwrite are crucial, and fix a long standing
2.3/4 bug when using multi on IDE with IRQ unmasking. Basically
what you need to do to make this work, is to make _sure_ that
you have setup the request for the next transfer before you
do idedisk_output_data. ide_multwrite is called both from IRQ
context and when the transfer is first started, so ide_multwrite
can be reentered right after the transfer.

I didn't notice this bug either when rewriting ide_multwrite for
the kio stuff, so it has been broken too.

--
Jens Axboe