Re: xfs causes machine to freeze

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs causes machine to freeze
From: "Chris 'Chipper' Chiapusio" <chipper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:08:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Sean Dougherty <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Steve Lord wrote:

>We have seen some cases where XFS deadlocks under heavy memory pressure,
>we end up trying to free memory from a code path which has xfs locks,
>the freeing of memory requires other xfs locks and sometimes a dependency
>between the two can cause a hang.

Something that I have seen is while FTP GET'ing data to a local XFS FS,
aftar a while free memory disappears rapidly and when it is completly
depleted the machine appears to freeze, but if I stop the FTP (running at
full 100Mb/s) soon enough, i can watch (in vmstat) the data get flushed to
disk in slow, even increments.  During this flushing time, read I/O
performance suffers (FTP PUT'ing data back to the other host), but as soon
as I see the flushes stop, read preformance goes back up.

>There are changes in the current development cvs tree which may fix this,
>we know that it is not bug free right now, and are working on it. In the
>meantime, could you possibly try a kernel built from the development tree
>and let us know if you can hang it in the same way.

I'll get current CVS and test the FS flushing issues and the module
symbols items again.

                    Please encrypt anything important.
PGP Key: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6CFA486D