Re: xfs causes machine to freeze

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs causes machine to freeze
From: "Chris 'Chipper' Chiapusio" <chipper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:08:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Sean Dougherty <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Steve Lord wrote:

>We have seen some cases where XFS deadlocks under heavy memory pressure,
>we end up trying to free memory from a code path which has xfs locks,
>the freeing of memory requires other xfs locks and sometimes a dependency
>between the two can cause a hang.

Something that I have seen is while FTP GET'ing data to a local XFS FS,
aftar a while free memory disappears rapidly and when it is completly
depleted the machine appears to freeze, but if I stop the FTP (running at
full 100Mb/s) soon enough, i can watch (in vmstat) the data get flushed to
disk in slow, even increments.  During this flushing time, read I/O
performance suffers (FTP PUT'ing data back to the other host), but as soon
as I see the flushes stop, read preformance goes back up.

>There are changes in the current development cvs tree which may fix this,
>we know that it is not bug free right now, and are working on it. In the
>meantime, could you possibly try a kernel built from the development tree
>and let us know if you can hang it in the same way.
>
>Steve

I'll get current CVS and test the FS flushing issues and the module
symbols items again.

Chipper

------
                    Please encrypt anything important.