Mounting real-time device - can it be done?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Mounting real-time device - can it be done?
From: Annius Groenink <avg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:36:47 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Joost Remijn <remijnj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Annius Groenink <avg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

I am new to XFS and this list.  Great initiative.

I tried the following:

mkfs.xfs /dev/hdb4 -r size=1g,extsize=65536,rtdev=/dev/hdb3 -f

i.e. setting up an XFS filesystem on /dev/hdb4 with a real-time section on
/dev/hdb3.  Mkfs says it's happy about it.

But when I try to mount, I get the following response (whereas mounting an
XFS without a real-time section will go just fine):

iep:/usr/include/linux# mount /dev/hdb4
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb4,
       or too many mounted file systems

Isn't that a pity!  Is this an unsupported feature?  The header
files seem to do all the necessary ioctl() calls to open a file
as part of the real-time section...

How much work would it be to implement the feature, if it is
indeed missing?  We'd be prepared to put some effort into this.

dr Annius V. Groenink
tel +31 20 888 4126 fax 4001

Kruislaan 400                 Eidetica, Amsterdam
NL 1098 SM Amsterdam
http://www.eidetica.com/      Knowledge services - Internet intelligence