Re: Unable to mount SCSI root fs with pr0.10test1 or test2

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Unable to mount SCSI root fs with pr0.10test1 or test2
From: Chris Croswhite <ccroswhite@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:34:08 -0800
Cc: K Mitchell Russell <kmrussel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have tried the 10test on another machine with scsi drive. Again, I get the same panic of can not open root device. Is there a fix for this?

Chris

Eric Sandeen wrote:

On 23 Mar 2001 20:14:16 -0500, K Mitchell Russell wrote:

Interestingly, i reinstalled pr0.9, booted up fine.  Then upgraded
mkinitrd to 3.0.6, e2fsprogs to 1.19, and installed the
kernel-smp-2.4.2-SGI_XFS_0.10.i686.rpm from the pr0.10test2.  Then
created a new initrd from the 2.4.2-SGI_XFS_0.10smp modules, and this
boots fine!  Perhaps there is a problem with the Wolverine installer
creating the initrd...

Hm.... well, I did a full scsi install here on an adaptec controller
(aic7xxx driver) and it's a good news / bad news sort of thing - the
good news is that it all went fine, and booted right up.  The bad news
is I didn't reproduce your error.  :)

I'll take a look at what anaconda is doing... perhaps there is a problem
there.

Also, I'm not surprised that the boot floppy creation failed - kernel +
xfs + scsi driver is getting pretty big...  I guess we should disable
that or at least offer a warning if we can't make it fit.

-Eric