Re: kio on non-x86

To: Thomas Graichen <thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kio on non-x86
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:30:21 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> just updated the kernel on my ppc machine yesterday - worked all fine
> so far ... that i tried the kio and kiocluster options on the ppc too
> and ran into problems: as soon as i write to the fs it detects an io
> error and shuts down ... thus a few questions:

I presume the same devices worked OK without kio, did they work OK after
this shutdown?

> * am i right in assuming that the kio stuff does not contain any
>   arch specific parts so it should - in principle - work also on
>   the pcc which would leave endian or gcc issues as a possible
>   reason for the problem?

I think this is true, there are no os specific components, where you using
ide or scsi? The ide kio code is specific to having dma turned on. So which
combination was this?

> * what is the state of XFS on sparc (also big endian)? - if it
>   works there: do the kio and kiocluster options work on sparc?

I would have to leave this to the list to answer - and by the way, there
is no difference between these two options now, kiocluster will be going
away I suspect.

> * does anyone have an idea off-mind what might be the reson for
>   this? ... i'll turn on all the debugging options and see if i
>   get any more information out of it this evening i think

Chait may have some suggestions, but the specific hardware combination is
the most interesting part of the equation right now.

Steve