Re: Pre-production questions

To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Pre-production questions
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 15:21:34 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>> "Joshua" == Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Joshua> The unit's default is a stripe size of 64 512 byte blocks.
Joshua> The stripe size can be set between 4 and 128 (incrementally,
Joshua> of course).  For the defaults, would this be correct:

Joshua> mkfs.xfs -d sunit=1,swidth=64

sunit = stripe width / number of disks

So mkfs.xfs -d sunit=8,swidth=64 for your 8 disks.

Joshua> Also, should I make the logfile any bigger than the default
Joshua> due to the size of the partition?

Depends how log-heavy the fs will be.  But in general we tend to use a
bigger log than the 1000b default.

We've talked about adding heuristics to mkfs to make a qualified
guess.  That's on my todo list.

Joshua> The system is maxed out at 128MB of cache RAM.  The primary
Joshua> use will be reading and writing (over NFS) lots of largish
Joshua> (250+MB) data files.

In that case I'd probably up the stripe size a bit.  But do some
benchmarks for yourself before you decide.  RAID controllers vary a
lot.

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.linuxcare.com/