Re: Telnet/Ftp problem with version 0.10

To: <kenneth.leung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Telnet/Ftp problem with version 0.10
From: Russel Ingram <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:46:08 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 kenneth.leung@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem after installing SGI's XFS version 0.10 with Redhat
> Wolverine. It involves the system rejection any FTP and Telnet connections
> coming into the box. I have tried using both the "Server with XFS" and the
> "Custom" installations. I am able to configure the network adapter, and FTP
> & Telnet to other machines. During the installation, I chose the "No
> firewall" option.
>
> I first noticed the problem when trying to FTP into the machine running
> 0.10. After supplying my username/password, the connection would fail,
> declaring that the "Connection has been closed". There is nothing in the
> /var/log/messages file that indicates an error occurred. Then I realized
> that Telnet connections were also being rejected.
>
> We are so close to getting 0.10 functional, everything thing else works,
> including the enterprise kernel which we want to use (for the high memory
> module). However, a machine that closes every FTP/Telnet connection is of
> little use in our environment.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Ken

This is a feature not a bug.  I believe the wolverine install of redhat
has all services that are run from tcpwrappers turned off by default.  You
have a couple of ways to look at this problem.  You can either look at it
as an oportunity to make the change from the horribly insecure methods of
telnet and ftp to more secure methods like ssh scp and sftp.  Or you can
look at it as something that needs to be fixed.  I kinda have a feeling
you're going to look at it as something that needs fixed.  So ... here's
how:

in your /etc directory you will find a directory named xinetd.d which
contains a bunch of files named after network services.  Each one of these
files is a configuration file that tells tcpwrappers how it should run
that particular service.  To turn a service on you need to edit the file
by that service name and change the line that says "disable = yes" to
"disable = no".  You will then need to restart the tcpwrapper daemon
either by rebooting the machine or by giving it the HUP signal like so:

killall -HUP xinetd

xinetd is the name of the tcpwrapper daemon programm.

Cheers,
Russ

--
Russ Ingram