xfs
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: LVM/XFS Bug?

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVM/XFS Bug?
From: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:44:28 -0500 (CDT)
In-reply-to: <Pine.LNX.4.33.0105161056580.19365-100000@UberGeek.coremetrics.com>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Has ANYONE looked into this? It seems pretty serious. Anyone?

-- 
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA
Coremetrics, Inc.
Phone: 512-796-9023
email: austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> On the system I've been testing LVM+XFS with, I've run into a bit of a
> dilemma. If I try to resize the a volume more than once, I get the
> following error message:
>
> -------begin problem-------
> [root@core /root]# df
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6               260240    120336    139904  47% /
> /dev/sda1                19264     12616      6648  66% /boot
> /dev/sda10             1167912       184   1167728   1% /home
> /dev/sda9              1167912    871764    296148  75% /usr
> /dev/sda7               260240     17848    242392   7% /var
> /dev/oracle/oravol1    8383808       144   8383664   1% /oracle
> /dev/web/webvol1       7859520       144   7859376   1% /web
> [root@core /root]# lvextend -L +100M /dev/web/webvol1
> lvextend -- rounding size to physical extent boundary
> lvextend -- rounding size 7995392 KB to stripe boundary size 8126464 KB
> lvextend -- extending logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" to 7.75 GB
> lvextend -- doing automatic backup of volume group "web"
> lvextend -- logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" successfully extended
>
> [root@core /root]# xfs_growfs /web/
> meta-data=/web                   isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=245760
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=1966080, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> data blocks changed from 1966080 to 2031616
> [root@core /root]# df
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6               260240    120284    139956  47% /
> /dev/sda1                19264     12616      6648  66% /boot
> /dev/sda10             1167912       184   1167728   1% /home
> /dev/sda9              1167912    871764    296148  75% /usr
> /dev/sda7               260240     17848    242392   7% /var
> /dev/oracle/oravol1    8383808       144   8383664   1% /oracle
> /dev/web/webvol1       8121664       160   8121504   1% /web
>
> [root@core /root]# lvextend -L +100M /dev/web/webvol1
> lvextend -- rounding size to physical extent boundary
> lvextend -- rounding size 8257536 KB to stripe boundary size 8388608 KB
> lvextend -- extending logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" to 8 GB
> lvextend -- doing automatic backup of volume group "web"
> lvextend -- logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" successfully extended
>
> [root@core /root]# xfs_growfs /web/
> meta-data=/web                   isize=256    agcount=9, agsize=245760
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2031616, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> xfs_growfs: ioctl failed - XFS_IOC_FSGROWFSDATA: Unknown error 990
> --------End Problem------
>
> Ok, so now let's reformat that partition and remount it.
>
> ------begin reformat------
> [root@core /root]# umount /web/
> [root@core /root]# mkfs.xfs /dev/web/webvol1  -f
> meta-data=/dev/web/webvol1       isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=262144
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2097152, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> [root@core /root]# mount -a
> [root@core /root]# df
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6               260240    120304    139936  47% /
> /dev/sda1                19264     12616      6648  66% /boot
> /dev/sda10             1167912       184   1167728   1% /home
> /dev/sda9              1167912    871764    296148  75% /usr
> /dev/sda7               260240     17848    242392   7% /var
> /dev/oracle/oravol1    8383808       144   8383664   1% /oracle
> /dev/web/webvol1       8383808       144   8383664   1% /web
>
> ------End Reformat-------
>
> Is this a known bug? This problem isn't actually size dependant, as in the
> ammount of the resize itself, as in here:
>
>
> ----begin example----
> [root@core /root]# lvextend -L +2M /dev/web/webvol1
> lvextend -- rounding size to physical extent boundary
> lvextend -- rounding size 8257536 KB to stripe boundary size 8388608 KB
> lvextend -- extending logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" to 8 GB
> lvextend -- doing automatic backup of volume group "web"
> lvextend -- logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" successfully extended
>
> [root@core /root]# xfs_growfs /web/
> meta-data=/web                   isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=253952
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2031616, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> data blocks changed from 2031616 to 2097152
> [root@core /root]# lvextend -L +2M /dev/web/webvol1
> lvextend -- rounding size to physical extent boundary
> lvextend -- rounding size 8519680 KB to stripe boundary size 8650752 KB
> lvextend -- extending logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" to 8.25 GB
> lvextend -- doing automatic backup of volume group "web"
> lvextend -- logical volume "/dev/web/webvol1" successfully extended
>
> [root@core /root]# xfs_growfs /web/
> meta-data=/web                   isize=256    agcount=9, agsize=253952
> blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2097152, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
> xfs_growfs: ioctl failed - XFS_IOC_FSGROWFSDATA: Unknown error 990
>
> ----end example-----
>
> I'm currently running on a Dell 1550, x3 9GB scsi drives, dual 933Mhz P3,
> Adaptec AIC-7899 controller, and 512Mb ram. I used the RH 7.1 installer
> from SGI to install the box. Using LVM 0.9.1-b7 tools.
>
>


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>