XFS mkfs problem.

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS mkfs problem.
From: "Mark Wolforth" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:27:51 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to create a XFS file system on a Storage Concepts FibreBlock
Fibre Channel disk array.  I create a Linux partition with fdisk, with the
following parameters:

------------

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9345 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             1      9345 300254724   83  Linux

------------

When I subsequently try to create the XFS file system I get:

------------

mkfs -t xfs -f /dev/sda1

meta-data=/dev/sda1              isize=256    agcount=287, agsize=261546
blks
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=75063681, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=9163
realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
mkfs.xfs: read failed: Input/output error
mkfs.xfs: data size check failed
mkfs.xfs: mount initialization failed

------------

Although this fails, I can successfully create a Linux ext2 file system on
the same partition, so I am confident that the physical hardware works.
Additionally, I can successfully create a XFS file system on a local IDE
hard disk, so I am fairly confident that the XFS stuff is correctly
installed.

cat /proc/filesystems suggests that XFS is supported by the kernel I am
using, and I downloaded the latest XFS tools from the OSS SGI web site.

Any idea why I cannot create the file system?

Best regards,
Mark.

Mark Wolforth               Email: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Design Engineer      Voice: +44(0)1992 553533
Innovation TK Limited       Fax  : +44(0)1992 558979