Re: Tar

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tar
From: Blizbor <tb670725@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:38:21 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 5/15/01 04:07 AM, you wrote:
>I read the FAQ about dump, etc., but how about tar (GNU)?
>Can I count on
>a successful transfer of a tarball (*.tgz, with subdirs) on
>an xfs partition to a non-xfs
>partition on another architecture (or the same
>architecture)?

Tar works between almost everything. You can create *.tar on SCO UNIX,
and then untar this file on HP-UX, AIX, Digital UNIX or whatever you want
(and have at least posix compliant implementation of tar). Regardless of
processor type used (ia32, Risc, PowerPC), regardless of filesystem type.
Years ago I was working in sux heavy mixed environment. No problems at all
(with tar of course :)) ). There are implementations of the tar for MS Windows
and MS DOS.

Regards,
Blizbor