Very scary bug or feature....

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Very scary bug or feature....
From: Dana Soward <dragon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello again, i have a very disturbing story...

This morning i attempted to convert my / partition (hde5) from ext2 to
xfs.  I had everything all set, i was using my /home/ftp (hde8) partition
(as it was empty) to make the switch.  I coppied / over, then rebooted,
using hde8 as / this time, all went well, i then did a mkfs.xfs /dev/hde5
and mounted hde5 to /home/ftp. This is where i shot myself in the foot.  I
had errored in fstab, both / and /home/ftp were set to mount hde8, so when
i did a mount /home/ftp, it mounted hde8 *again*, but it didnt error or
tell me this.  Needless to say, the result was disasterous, i coppied /
over itself, and noticed some wierd stuff from cp, so i decided to use
tar.  I did an rm -r * in /home/ftp and blew away my /...humourous in a
sick way, i know. Anyway, the actual question is "Should mount allow me to
mount a partition more than once at the same time, (i dont recall this
being an option with ext2) or is this a nasty bug?"  I havent been able to
test things yet, as im am still recovering the system. I'll post tests as
soon as i have them, unless some one beats me to it. Sorry for the
wordiness...:P

Dana