Re: Problems with SMP version of XFS RH 7.1 installer

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with SMP version of XFS RH 7.1 installer
From: erich@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:00:25 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The overall result makes me think it's some kind of linux 2.4.2 SMP
> > stability problem, but I'm not sure what other kernel w/XFS to try...

> If you do try the development cvs tree, please let us know if it fixes
> you problem, also for general redhat 7.1 issues please look at this
> page for issues redhat has found:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/gotchas/7.1/gotchas-71.html
>
> However, since your problems show up copying large amounts of data,
> there is chance this is xfs chewing up all the memory on your machine
> and not letting go for some reason.

I think I found the problem, and it isn't XFS-related, though the
performance of the cvs tree I got on tuesday seems noticably better.
I still see some issues with large file transfers pushing everything
out of memory, but I imagine that's a 2.4 kernel VM tuning
issue.

The problem is that the RH 7.1 SMP kernel configuration defaults to having
a few bits of APM turned on, and on some SMP boxen, APM is seriously busted
once you activate the other processors and causes weird/buggy behavior/
occasional crashes unless you remove it from the kernel configuration.
I will do some more checking to see if it works with anything enabled at
all, but in any case I'm filing this in Bugzilla at RedHat and I'll wrangle
it out with them.

Hopefully I can get to XFS on GRUB now.  ;)

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn     <erich@xxxxxxxx>     http://www.uruk.org/
"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"