Re: 2.4.6-pre1

To: "Mark Pinto" <mark.pinto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4.6-pre1
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:35:11 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 10:08 6-6-2001 -0400, Mark Pinto wrote:
I was using yesterday's 2.4.5 cvs kernel just fine...today, I went to to try
out 2.4.6-pre1.  Everything works perfectly, except for iptables.  How XFS
has anything to iptables, I cant understand.  The reason I believe it to be
an issue with this new cvs kernel, is that when I boot from yesterday's cvs
kernel iptables works fine.  They're both configured exactly the same, with
netfilter support built in and iptables (and all the other iptables goodies)
as modules.  After installing the 2.4.6-pre1 kernel and rebooting, iptables
simply refuses to work.  I look in /lib/modules/2.4.6-pre1-xfs and sure
enough, the modules for them are there.  modprobe ip_tables fails, saying
unresolved symbols.  depmod -a just spits out the same thing at me.
Any suggestions?

Did you do a make mrproper before recompiling?
It might just be that modversions is screwed up.

Save your .config make mrproper and try again.

I have disabled Module Versions on my iptables firewall just to be sure.
On my testmachine I can succesfully load the modules with modversions.

I suspect the broken Makefile system has bitten you
(again, again?, yeah again.)

Cheers

--
Seth