how to tell?

To: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: how to tell?
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 15:05:21 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
This seems strangely simple, and possibly absurd to ask, but now that I
have a system running with xfs, I have to wonder if there is some
fast/simple way to sit down at any linux machine and find out what
filesystem type it runs on a particular mount point? df, does not say,
and fdisk only mentions linux native. For ext2 there is the lost+found
directory as a clue, but I don't know if maybe some other future system
might also have this directory; add to this that migrating an old
filesystem can leave a lost+found on the new one as an artifact, so it
really is not a good clue. What is the simple means to know that a
machine I'm sitting at as an administrator (but not installed by me) is
running xfs or any other filesystem type?

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx