Re: aid to iso download

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: aid to iso download
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 18:33:01 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Alistair Lambie wrote:

> > > Good idea (I'll check to make sure oss is configed to do this)
> > > but I doubt this will save space,
> > > every file on the iso is already compressed.
> > > So about the only space to be gained would be in
> > > the cd9660 file system, which I very small to start with.
> > >

> > I thought it wouldn't save much either, but I just did it on
> > RH7.1-SGI-XFS-1.0.iso and it went from 299MB to 221MB.
> >
> > --
> > Alistair Lambie                                    alambie@xxxxxxx
> > SGI Global Product Support                   Phone: +64-21-635 262
> > New Zealand                                    Fax: +64-4-234 8792
>
> The machine I hope to start the download on tonight receives at 26.4
> kbps. Hmm. 78 MB might help :P
>
> The .gz notes show it runs max compression, so I'll use that if a gzip
> -9 isn't available. It would still be quite useful to have a
> precompressed image, since the cpu load to do a -9 compression is
> "significant", and a one-time compression is probably the better
> solution.

I just realized how poorly this last paragraph was written. To clarify,
if the iso with .gz extension is not already available, I'll try adding
it to get the server to do on-the-fly compression. But the compression
itself is not trivial with 300 MB, so it would be better to have a
precompressed image if possible.