Re: FW: log mount/recovery failed

To: Justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: log mount/recovery failed
From: Daniel Moore <dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:47:45 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Justin Hamilton" writes:
 => Here is the xfs_logprint:
 =>
 => [root@Voyager /]# xfs_logprint /dev/vg04/lv_movies
 => xfs_logprint:
 =>     data device: 0x3a07
 =>     log device: 0x3a07 daddr: 10485792 length: 9600
 =>
 => Header 0xc wanted 0xfeedbabe
 => **********************************************************************
 => * ERROR: header cycle=12          block=1463                         *
 => **********************************************************************
 => Bad log record header
 =>
 => So somehow, it looks like the log is getting clobbered.
 =>
 => Before I run the xfs_repair, is there any other info that will be useful
 => to ensuring this get fixed?

Well actually xfs_logprint without '-t' will sometimes do this because
the first block of the log doesn't always look like a valid log record
(it can be the tail end of a record that started right at the end
of the log - hence no 0xfeedbabe). So this doesn't really prove anything.

I'd have to hand this off to someone else on the list at this point -
I don't have time to follow though. But I can refer you to a comment from
Steve:

lord@xxxxxxx said:
=> There is definitely a problem with the log on raid5 right now, we did
=> not change anything on our end, so it looks like the underlying code
=> may have broken things. We are looking into this. As for performance,
=> the

Are you using raid5? if so, this might explain it. If not, it might anyway.
I've never seen this kind of symptom before.

 Daniel Moore                  dxm@xxxxxxx
 R&D Software Engineer         Phone: +61-3-98348209
 SGI Performance Tools Group   Fax:   +61-3-98132378