Re[2]: Everyone's favorite offtopic topic

To: Keith Matthews <keith_m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re[2]: Everyone's favorite offtopic topic
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:10:51 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 11:45 29-7-2001 +0100, Keith Matthews wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:23:36 +0200 Seth Mos <Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> If you think about using 7200RPM disks you better start looking for
> multiple 400W powersupply's. IDE disks tend to have the problem to all
> start to spin up at boot. Scsi does this when asked to :-)

Only if specifcally configured to do so I believe. Mine have always
come to auto spin-up on power-up and needed reconfiguring (IBM
Ultrastar etc).

Depends on disk manufacturer. Most are default to spin on boot.
In raid arrays this is often disabled. I believe IDE disks don't support delayed start.

So it's with scsi you can and with IDE you can't.

I use the last kind.