Re: spam

Subject: Re: spam
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 16:29:09 -0600
Cc: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Juha Saarinen wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I'm forwarding something that apparently is from email harvesting. I
> > doubt there is anything to be done to prevent spam harvesters, but
> > considering how terrible it has become on gnu.org lists, I'll pose the
> > question: is there anything, on a practical basis, that can help prevent
> > spam email from being generated through this list? I suspect the answer
> > is "no", but I thought I'd ask. I'm pasting the full header of the
> > offending email below. I'd probably forward this to an abuse account at
> > the sending location if not for the fact that it is a .jp, and Japan
> > routinely supports spamming (there is no help in reporting spammers to
> > Japanese ISP's it seems).
>
> It didn't originate at a Japanese ISP -- if you look at the headers, the
> spammer appears to have used a Popsite dial-up.
>
> It might be a good idea if the linux-xfs list was set to use the MAPS DUL
> and RBL, not to mention RSS.
>
> -- Juha
>
> PGP fingerprint:
> B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544

Looking closer, I see that it was a "TO" address of Japan. More
confusing is:
Sender:
    owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Does that mean there was an attempt to forge the header? Or maybe sgi is
being used as a relay? I see now the actual sender (and the ISP is about
to get an email):
"West Quinn" <ptm31p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Spam is kind of ridiculous these days. :(

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx