Re: XFS and Emacs don't play nice

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and Emacs don't play nice
From: Daniel Stone <daniel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:28:28 +1000
Cc: Scott Jaderholm <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 04:17:17AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> As for what is happening to your file. This is not corruption per se, the
> updated inode size made it out to disk, but the data did not. If you do
> an xfs_bmap you will probably find there are are no extents in the file.
> (xfs_bmap .emacs). It is also not in in kernel buffer corruption problem,
> it is because the buffers were not written to disk before the crash, but
> the inode size was written in a transaction.
>
> Please try a later kernel as I have not seen reports like this in a
> while.

Let me add my voice - I haven't posted this as yet, because I've been trying
to track it down as to where it started, but I'm getting null-byte
corruption through entire files (my entire /etc/mailcap got replaced with
null bytes, as did the postinst's for a few packages). I'm tracking CVS, and
it appears to only have happened with the -pre2 sync, everything previous
seemed to work OK (though admittedly I haven't tried -pre1, and that was
most likely the culprit, being a large -ac sync). The affected partitions
are on IDE drives, not a VIA chipset or anything.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                                 <daniel@xxxxxxxxx>
<Nuke> "can NE1 help me aim nuclear weaponz????? /MSG ME!!"