Re: Patch for linux 2.4.6-ac* series?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patch for linux 2.4.6-ac* series?
From: Michal Kozlowski <michal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:22:02 -0600 (MDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 10 Jul 2001, Thomas Duffy wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2001 11:30:57 -0600, Michal Kozlowski wrote:
> > Hi, I was wondering if someone could provide some hints on creating a xfs
> > patch for the 2.4.6-ac2 kernel.  I know the SGI team doesn't support it
> > since Alan can release way to many updates, but I'm willing to try and get
> > the 2 going together.  I want to try the hpt370 raid-0 with xfs on it.
> > How much effort would something like this take?  I've modified source code
> > many times to get things working but never attempted something like this.
> > Maybe if I get good at this I could release regular updates, but for now I
> > just want 2.4.6-ac2 to work.  Thanks for all you help,
>
> if you grabbed the patch of xfs from the kernel.src.rpm for 2.4.3, you
> should have a patch that works on top of some version of ac since redhat
> takes ac into it's kernel rpm.
>
> but, ac has probably changed a bit from 2.4.3 days to 2.4.6 days, so I
> don't know how hard the two would be to reconcile.  I have done xfs/ac
> merges before so it is not impossible...sometimes you might have a weird
> conflict that only an expert (like steve) can tell you what you should
> do.
>
> -tduffy

Hmm thanks for the tip, I've noticed all the kbd code in spots, which I
think I'll keep in there.  My biggest problem is the changes in the apic
code and others under the arch/i386/kernel/.  After the ac patch there are
functions that don't exist or seem to be drastically different , I
currently put them back in but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.
I haven't gotten the thing to compile yet.  And under the md source tree
their is some interesting changes in variable names, #define MAX_READAHEAD
compared to int vm_max_readahead, other than that they're used exactly the
same way.

-Mike Kozlowski