Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?

To: Adam Cioccarelli <alciocca@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?
From: Thomas Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Jul 2001 16:19:34 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 12 Jul 2001 11:29:17 +0200, Adam Cioccarelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you'll find that in the mailing list archives... Actually I was
> wondering, while we are off topic, why SGI didn't try and port Irix to
> intel architecture? Or will it get ported to IA64?

way back when, IRIX was ported to ia32 (a skunxworks project called IRIX
LE for little endian).  but, then a bunch of Linux folks at SGI
convinced the management that it made more sense to embrace Linux for
the apps capture.   this was also about the same time SGI abandoned NT
(which also was slated to run on the big iron -- boy that would have
been a mess!  but there was a cool hack to make it work called crucible
that allowed multiple copies of NT to run on shared hardware, but that
is another story altogether).

So, IRIX was decided to stick to MIPS and linux to stick to intel.  this
is the story that SGI is sticking to (even though conceivably, both OS's
could run on both hardware platforms).

-tduffy