Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs

To: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
From: "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:37:45 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"A month of sundays ago Nathan Scott wrote:"
> hi Luc,
>
> On Jul 12,  9:20am, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> > Subject: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
> >
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > I'm seem to be having problems on my DELL PowerEdge 2400 running the XFS
> > kernels.   Every 10 days or so the systems locks and I have to reboot.
> > I've been folllowing the XFS kernel development and have been trying
> > updating since 2.4.2-XFS.
>
> Could you build a kernel with kdb enabled and dump the call
> stack ("bt" command) when the system hangs?  That would give
> us a better idea as to whether or not your hang is related to
> XFS, and a better starting point for debugging.

I have been having exactly the same symptom on my dell poweredge
under 2.4.3 + xfs. I am not cinvinced it is xfs.

I changed to 2.4.6 + xfs and the lockups increased in frequency.
It's been up for a day now, but yesterday it locked several times in
succession. On one occasion I saw the crash, and it was the NMI
watchdog kicking in! It said that CPU 1 was locked. The trace was
of the most active process at the time.

> It would also probably be worthwhile moving up to the current
> development tree which is 2.4.7-pre6 based so that everyone is
> looking at the same code when you do extract some debug info.

Peter