Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs

To: Sergei Morozov <smv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:48:29 +0200
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 00:21 13-7-2001 -0700, Sergei Morozov wrote:
> > It doesn't seem that /boot is read only.
>
> One question, how did you boot with the floppy. Sometimes one does

A year ago bootdisk was created for then Red Hat 6.2 (now 7+changes) for
the same machine except it had 1 cpu. So the kernel on that floppy is not
xfs-aware, and it can boot other non xfs partitions.

There is a link in the FAQ to a xfs-aware rescue/boot floppy set.
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#xfsbootdisks

> boot with something like init=/bin/sh and / is mounted ro, even when
> mount tells you it is rw. Maybe the problem was such thing. mtab
> will also report rw falsely, maybe cat /proc/mounts shows the truth.

cat /proc/mounts still shows rw; also I can write on / and /boot fine, but
not lilo somehow.

If you can format /boot correctly and mount it. Put a xfs-aware kernel in there and run lilo.
I don't know if lilo checks for the rootfs to be ro or the /boot.

Otherwise use the bootdisks referenced above and fix it using that.
If you have the installer iso available you can boot from that cdrom in rescue mode and fix up your system. I managed to fix mine that way.

> > How I now make lilo install somewhere, best of all to MBR and /boot and
> > restore contents of /boot? And, yes, xfs kernel is too big for floppy.

if your lilo.conf has not changed it should go to the MBR.
For making larger bootfloppy's see
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#xfsfitfloppy

Cheers

--