Re: null character filesystem corruption with 2.4.6

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: null character filesystem corruption with 2.4.6
From: Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:23:59 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have had this corruption using bad memory in the 2.4.0-test
> releases.  After replacing it I have not been able to replicate
> this.

Well, I've dropped findnull into my /etc/cron.daily, and I'll see if
all the null corruption was just from my last kernel crash, or whether
it is continually happening.

> I have seen this behaviour on the list with kernels that have been
> compiled with gcc-2.96-rh. What compiler did you use.?

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/2.95.4/specs
gcc version 2.95.4 20010703 (Debian prerelease)

> Have you tried running an xfs_repair -n on th filesystem to see what
> it thinks of it.

I didn't get any error messages from that (how does it differ from
xfs_check?).

> I believe that the original report on PPC kernels were linus based.

Hm, more often than not, the linus tree doesn't even compile on ppc,
at least last time I checked.

> The extended attribute of the file is empty. That's why it is also
> giving back NULLS. This happens during recovery IIRC. So it is not
> really corrupt in the sense of the checker.
>
> Did you see this after XFS recovery of the filesystem?

Yes, the files are still filled with nulls, past reboots.

> I don't know if there is something we can do about this except
> making EA work. It would probably be moot point then. I am not sure
> if I am coorect on this issue though.

EA?