Re: [reiserfs-list] Re: benchmarks

To: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [reiserfs-list] Re: benchmarks
From: Richard Sharpe <sharpe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:36:00 +0930
Cc: Xuan Baldauf <xuan--reiserfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, reiserfs-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chris Wedgwood wrote:

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 06:24:57PM +0200, Xuan Baldauf wrote:

    I hope that someday, there will be an emancipation from NFS away
    (or an NFS without those problems).  Maybe Samba|CIFS can be a
    replacement someday. CIFS has some overhead, too, due to it's
    windows origins, but this is per packed basis and not for an
    unlimited time into the future.

read the first chapter of tridges' Samba book about NFS and CIFS
before saying things like that :)

Hmmm, I don't recall that Tridge has written a Samba book. Others have though.

NFS is far from perfect, CIFS isn't a solution though.

Indeed, but NFS V4 has contributions from M$ and the UNIX community and Tridge seems happy with it, the last time I spoke to him.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxx, LPIC1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba