Re: XFS on Linux

To: Lucy Upchurch <lucy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS on Linux
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:56:44 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 at 10:43am, Lucy Upchurch wrote

> Hi,

Hi, from around the corner!

> I am trying to install XFS filesystem on a linux box which was running
> Linux 7.4.2.  I downloaded the ISO image from

Err, Redhat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2?

> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_installer.html and made a bootable

1.0.1 has been released, and it's what you want.  The installation iso is
available here:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/installer

> CD.  I selected a custom system.  Before installation, my system loooked
> like this:
>
> I tried numerous times to create an XFS filesystem on /home to no
> avail.  I then tried installing XFS on all partitions.  The main error I
> rec'd on various partitions is:

The question is, do you want XFS on all partitions, or just certain ones?
If you just want XFS on, e.g., /home, then I would

1) Install RedHat 7.1
2) Install the XFS 1.0.1 RPMs from
<ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/kernel_rpms> and
<ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/cmd_rpms>.
3) Unmount /home, mkfs.xfs it, and remount it (after changing the type in
the fstab, of course).

If you want XFS everywhere, then you'll need the installation ISO above in
addition to the standard RedHat 7.1 CDs.  Boot the SGI CD, and do the
standard RedHat install two-step, selecting XFS for all your partitions at
the proper point.

Then enjoy!

--
Joshua Baker-LePain