Re: 2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1smp leaks?

To: lord@xxxxxxx (Steve Lord)
Subject: Re: 2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1smp leaks?
From: Sidik Isani <isani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:13:22 -1000 (HST)
Cc: gbritton@xxxxxxx (Gerald Britton), linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Gerald -

  The "used" memory reported by /proc/meminfo is apparently not
  a meaningful measurement of non-freeable memory when there are
  large values in /proc/slabinfo.  There are some XFS and page_buf
  entries in there which can get quite high.  However they go right
  back down if something else really needs the memory.  So I don't
  think there's a leak.  I'd sure like to understand what's really
  going on a bit better, but the only thing which seems broken is
  our ability to easily get an idea of how much free-able memory
  is left :-(

Be seeing you,

- Sidik