Re: TAKE - userspace

To: Hasch@xxxxxxxxxxx (Juergen Hasch), Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TAKE - userspace
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:36:19 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 22:12 21-7-2001 +0200, Juergen Hasch wrote:
Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2001 10:26 schrieb Nathan Scott:
> Important change for xfsdump and xfsrestore (and libraries that they
> rely on)... we're now consistent with other backup/restore utilities
> which need be available when only the root filesystem is mounted.

What is the reason for putting libacl.a in /lib instead of leaving it in
/usr/lib where it belongs IMHO ?
This breaks all applications that try to link libacl.a at compiletime like
Samba and Fileutils. Please move it back.

NO!

If you only have your root filesystem, how would you then be able to run xfsdump or xfsrestore.
let's see.

You have a seriuous crash of your system and the /usr filesystem is lost.
This means that you need to restore the /usr filesystem.
Now comes the fun part, you run xfsrestore to get your /usr filesystem back but onfortunately you can't run xfs_repair to repair the fs or run xfsrestore to restore your backup.

Now that would be stupid. Your system needs these utility's for minimal operation so they belong on /

Check your utils for your ext2fs dump restore e2fscheck and others.
Heck even chmod and co is sitting on the / fs.

It's a pity that we need to move the lib because the rest of the "important" utils need to be on the root fs.

Cheers

--
Seth
I use the last kind.