Re: Official patch against 2.4.7?

To: Detlef Vollmann <dv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Official patch against 2.4.7?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:52:58 -0500
Cc: XFS list <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Are there any plans to release an official patch of XFS 1.0.1
> against kernel 2.4.7 in the next few weeks?
>
> Detlef
>
> --
> Detlef Vollmann
> vollmann engineering gmbh           Tel: +41-41-4120911
> P.O. Box 5106                       Fax: +41-41-4120912
> CH-6000 Luzern 5 / Switzerland      eMail: dv@xxxxxxxxxxx

Well, it depends on what you call 1.0.1 .... Almost all the changes we
have made to the development tree since the 1.0.1 release have been for
one of three things:

  1) to fix a bug
  2) to move the port forwards to the next kernel version
  3) to reduce the footprint of xfs changes in the main kernel code

Unfortunately, items 2 and 3 got very tightly intertwined with each
other which makes it difficult to move the code up to a new release
level without bringing along other changes.

So realistically speaking, all we can offer are the patches in this
directory:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/

There is a 2.4.7 patch called patch-2.4.7-xfs-2001-07-22.bz2

I am currently looking to two problems with this code, one of which
I am sure is present in 1.0.1, one which may not be.

        o xfs_fsr will leave busy inodes in the filesystem, this is
          almost certainly in 1.0.1

        o raid5 filesystems have log problems - the filesystem may not
          mount without running xfs_repair first, I am about to check
          in a fix for this. If I can find the script to regen the patch
          I will push out a new version.

Now that there is another dot release we may do some more extensive testing
on it than the pre series, but given the changes I am not sure it is really
1.0.1 any more.

Steve