SGI XFS Red Hat 7.1 Installer for Alpha

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, axp-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SGI XFS Red Hat 7.1 Installer for Alpha
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jul 2001 20:56:08 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I am happy to announce the first prerelease of the SGI XFS Red Hat 7.1
Installer for the Alpha architecture.

This code is derived from the ia32-based installer we released as part
of XFS 1.0.1.  The Alpha installer is not supported by SGI, however.
Use it at your own risk.  Oh, and this is a prerelease.  This means
that it may potentially corrupt your data.  Tread cautiously.

In order to install you need the Red Hat 7.1 Alpha Disc 1 and 2 media.
Get them from your local Red Hat mirror or buy the boxed set.

The Alpha XFS installer ISO is available here:

        ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/unsupported/

Alpha-specific caveats:

 - Neither aboot nor MILO support XFS.  Consequently, /boot must
   reside on an ext2 filesystem.  The installer will attempt to
   enforce this.

 - aboot install fails silently on my Miata.  This happens with a
   clean RH7.1 too.  If your machine can't boot after a successful
   install, boot in rescue mode using the XFS install CD and do
   something like:

        # cd /mnt/sysimage/boot
        # swriteboot /dev/sda1 bootlx -f3

   (Assuming your system disk is sda, that you have enough room at the
   beginning of the disk, and that you are using aboot.)

 - I haven't tried installing using MILO.  Let me know how it goes.

 - Alphas use 8KB pages whereas PCs use 4K.  Currently XFS on Linux
   requires that the filesystem block size matches the memory page
   size.  I.e. you can't move XFS filesystems created on an Alpha to a
   PC and vice versa.

For non-Alpha caveats and information about XFS in general please
read:

        http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

Enjoy!

PS. Go find 'em bugs before I have to return my Alpha to its rightful
owner.

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.linuxcare.com/