Re: Mode of symbolic link

To: alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mode of symbolic link
From: Detlef Vollmann <dv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:08:01 +0000
Cc: XFS list <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alan Eldridge wrote:

> RPM's verify mode wouldn't possibly look at this, would it?
Well, don't know about rpm, but tar produces all (well, nearly all)
symbolic links with mode 777, though the tarfile itself contains
the true original modes.
There is no problem for a C program to set the mode of a symbolic
link, so if rpm verifies it, it will probably also set it
correctly according to the package contents.
But as I said, I can't really tell about rpm.

cheers,
Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann
vollmann engineering gmbh           Tel: +41-41-4120911