Re: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.

To: Nathan Poznick <poznick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:58:21 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nathan Poznick wrote:

> The file was created successfully though...but the messages do tend to
> put me on edge a bit.  Copying a 64gb file from an NFS share to the
> filesystem doesn't show any problems.  I got the feeling from a
> message in the archives that this might be a problem with the mainline
> kernel's highmem code... would that be a reasonable assumption, or is
> this an XFS issue?

I'm not an authority on this (Steve?) but I think it's a mainline kernel
problem, possibly aggravated by XFS.

> If it's related to the highmem issues, then I'd
> need to upgrade to 2.4.7...are there release 1.0.1 patches against
> 2.4.7, or will I have to upgrade to the latest development snapshot?

There's no 1.0.1 for 2.4.7 since as the kernel changes, XFS has to
change, and it's no longer "1.0.1"  :)  So the devel patch for 2.4.7 is
what you would need.

> If I have to upgrade to the latest development snapshot, is it stable
> enough to use?

Depends on your definition of "use" - I'm not aware of any problems with
it, but it has not had rigorous testing.  My expectation is that it will
be fine, you should convince yourself of this before you decide to use
it for production, of course.

-Eric