Re: xfs development

Subject: Re: xfs development
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:32:58 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Other mail, same related info.
This one was sent personally

At 11:00 13-8-2001 +0200, you wrote:
Hello,

i am writing an article about journaling FS. One Question:

Some of the XFS developers have left SGI.

They did yes, but they are far from gone. A lot of them are still around on the list but you don;t see them as frequent.

Will they continue to develop XFS, resp. will SGI continue the development.

Some of them do, although they can't spend as much time on it as they used to since they now have another job.

SGI has no plans of dropping XFS since they are moving to Linux for al their IA64 machines (Intel Unobtanium). Irix doesn't run on ia64 machines so the only platform that SGI has for those machines is linux. And since al lot of customers already have TeraBytes of data on XFS systems you don't just ask them to reformat their systems and copy all the data.

Regardless of SGI supporting the XFS development, the source is now GPL and out there in use. I am not a SGI employee but I am active on the list answering questions and maintaining the FAQ. If they would go bankrupt, I don't see XFS dissapearing since it is a very nice full featured filesystem and it's available. It is also extremely well suited for large systems.

The community aspect comes into play here. SGI has a good reputation in the opensource community so they will have some support.

Cheers

--
Seth
I use the last kind.